Monday, January 18, 2010

Retirement: Ready or Not, Here I Come

Two weeks ago, I suddenly decided to retire. Right now I can't recall the exact stressful work moment that finally pushed me over the edge. However, I've been a middle school teacher in Virginia for the past eight years and the pressure on teachers to ensure that all of their students pass the year end SOL tests has become relentless. In the past, my students have done very well on these tests; however, this year my students are much poorer readers that in previous years, several are absent too frequently, and two are constantly getting into trouble, resulting in out of school suspensions. I have to stay after almost nightly to help them make up missed work or pull them from P.E., during what's supposed to be my planning period. If they fail the test, the administration won't care about the students' failure to be responsible, only my failure to get them to pass. When teachers find themselves in this situation, it doesn't take a genuis to figure out why moral is often low and why many feel burned out.

Anyway, two weeks ago, I decided enough was enough, so this coming week I'm meeting with someone in the Benefits Department to sign the papers. I haven't told my principal yet. Partly, because my decision was so sudden that even I still can't believe I'm actually doing this--Retiring! I'm excited, but also kind of frightened. Sometimes when I think about not returning next year, my stomach feels like it has butterflies in it. Financially, I'll be fine. By retiring before 65, my monthly pension will be about three hundered less, but my husband has a good pension from the federal government and we've stashed money away. But I am concerned about keeping busy during my retirement years. I plan to write my thoughts/ideas about doing that on my next post. If anyone out there decides to stop and read my very first Blog post, I'd like to hear your ideas about making the transition from work to retirement.

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear a new almost-retired voice here in the blogosphere. Welcome!

    I totally relate to this post. I had decided in early 2007 that I was going to retire at the end of the year. I thought I would talk to my bosses in August/September, and in the meantime, make sure that I was comfortable with pulling the trigger.

    Then in an unrelated meeting with one of my bosses in May, I blurted out my plans. I just had to go for it. I knew it was right. I've never regretted it.

    Just finishing up year 2 of retirement and I couldn't be happier. I does, surprisingly, take a little time to get adjusted. I'll be very curious to read your experiences. Hope you will keep blogging about your transition to retired life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'll be curious to hear how it is for your husband, your retirement. My husband also retired a few years before I did. I think my retirement might have been harder for him than it was for me! But we're in the groove now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, especially your P.S. I have to admit, I've given some thought to the prospect of being at home together ALL of the time. We've been married since we were 19, but we've both always worked during the day. My husband tends to be a stay-at-home kind of guy. I however, need to get out, even if it's just to go to Starbucks and read for a couple of hours. He's going to have to adjust to my doing my own thing, or he'll need to come along. So the first few months should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick question!

    I'm going to follow your blog with great interest. This is the first blog I've seen that's just starting, and I'd like to see what happens!

    I'm the internet marketing manager for Terra Vista of Citrus Hills here in Florida. We’re a retirement community here in Citrus County, Florida, and I’m emailing to see if we can’t help each other out

    As you know, Google really likes to see incoming links for web pages. Would you be willing to do a quick link exchange for www.citrushills.com? Also, we'd be willing to actually do a write up about your blog on our blog, www.terravistaretirement.com for your website as well. I think that would really help drive traffic over to you.

    Maybe you would even be willing to post an article for us on your website that links to us in an exchange for a link and write up about your website on our blog?

    Please let me know your thoughts.

    Thanks!

    -Andy



    --
    Andrew L. Hallinan
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Office: (352) 746-6121 ex. 113
    www.citrushills.com
    ahallinan@citrushills.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are worried about how to approach retirement, take a look at my blog. I am a veteran of 34 years in the education world. Believe me, there is life after retirement.
    http://www.womenofacertainage2.blogspot.com
    I'd love to share ideas with you. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a stay at home mom my whole life, but my husband (of 31 years) and I are "heading into retirement" also. I don't think you will have any problems keeping busy. AT ALL! You already have interests, which you will have more time for, and believe me, you will find other interests. You'll be wishing for more time in the day to pursue them all.
    We're on our way....if you have time, check out my blog, Designing Our Retirement. And I'll keep reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete